On Saturday, I will be doing the Dirty Girl Mud Run with three of my neighbors. I mentioned this race in a previous post, and I am excited to be doing it, especially since we got a good deal on the race entry through Groupon. Since I have never done a mud or obstacle race before, I thought it would be useful to do some research on what I’ll need to make sure I have a good experience and make the most of the race. After asking around and reviewing the Dirty Girl website, I came up with this list of essentials I’ll have to get ready the night before the race:
- Wear clothes and shoes I don’t mind getting completely dirty or even possibly destroyed
- Pack clean clothes and shoes for after the race (you can get hosed off afterward and then change)
- Sheeting or trash bags for dirty clothes and to line car interiors
- Bandana for keeping hair out of face and fairly clean
- Money for post-race activities, possibly in a plastic baggie?
- Photo ID for race check-in
- Water bottle to stay hydrated
- Waterproof camera/phone case if you want to take it on the course (I just took a plastic baggie to the Color Run and it turned out OK, but I don’t know what I’m going to do this time)
- Sunglasses to cover eyes
I am not driving to the race, so hopefully I can keep everything careful so I don’t destroy the car I’m riding in! The race starts at 8:30 (there are several different heats), so we are planning on leaving our neighborhood around 7am). Hopefully it won’t get too hot once our heat starts. It is a 5k with obstacles so I’m thinking it will take us around an hour.
I’m excited to try something different and to get to know my neighbors better! I will be sure to put up photos after the race!